The Limited Edition Book
Get your copy of the book that connected a community
After much thought, I've made some big decisions about the Humans of Nelson project:
- The Book is now officially a LIMITED EDITION print. 2140 books were printed. And now just 1,075 remain. There will be no second print-run, nor second edition. This is it.
- After 2 years, hundreds of photos and conversations with strangers, countless hours editing and sharing on the Facebook page, the Humans of Nelson project has come to a natural close for me. I'm not posting anymore, so this book will be the only remaining result of those efforts.
- I'm holding a "closure" sale until the end of 2015 to celebrate - but also to help me reclaim my living room for me and my kids (photo below).
- 232 pages, gorgeous hardcover coffee-table book
- Over 100 individual portraits and stories of folks found on the streets of Nelson BC
- Designed by local talent Steven Cretney
- Printed in Canada
Based on the project with more than seven thousand loyal fans, a beautiful, touching, funny, and inspiring collection of photographs and stories celebrating our individuality and capturing the spirit of Nelson, British Columbia.
Click on the images below to see sample pages:
10 Reasons Why You Should Buy The Book
- This puppy is now a LIMITED EDITION. 2140 copies were printed. Only 1,075 copies remain.
- If there was ever an earthquake in Nelson, and my kids were on the living room floor, these boxes would surely fall on them and cause lots of pain and suffering. For the love of all that's good, you must think of the children and help me sell these books!
- If you don't care about the safety of my kids, then maybe you'll care about the 10% discount you'll get if you buy a book from this website before the end of 2015.
- If you like discounts, maybe you'll consider buying 2 or 3 or 500 copies to get an additional 20% off.
- The book makes a really great gift. Christmas is coming. Soon.
- I'll sign your book(s).
- If you buy the book online and you live in Nelson, I'll deliver it to your doorstep for free.
- If you live in Iceland (or anywhere else besides Nelson), I'll ship it to you for a reasonable shipping fee.
- You may know someone in the book. And that kinda makes you famous by association.
- When the last book is sold, I'll donate $200 to the NDYC (Nelson and District Youth Centre). Oh - so now you do care about the children. I see how it is.
1,120 1,075 Books Left
Everyone loves coupons!
Enter the coupon(s) you see below at checkout to receive the discount and/or free shipping.
FREE SHIPPING IN NELSON
Coupon Code: freeshippinginnelson
If you live in Nelson BC, use this code to get free shipping. I'll hand deliver the book to you - no charge! :) This coupon does not expire. Unless I move to a new city, then it will have to expire. But I'm not planning on moving to a new City. Good talk.
Coupon Code: 1book10off
If you buy a book, use this coupon code to save 10% on your order! This deal can be combined with the Free Shipping in Nelson coupon. Expires Dec 31 2015.
Coupon Code: 2ormore20off
If you buy 2 or more books, use this coupon code to save 20% on your order! This deal can be combined with the Free Shipping in Nelson coupon. Expires Dec 31 2015
"It's the Christmas stocking stuffer of the year!" - Otter Books
freeshippinginnelson: Use this if you live in Nelson and I'll hand deliver your book(s) to you in town for free.
1book10off: Use this code to save 10% on your order of 1 HON book. This deal can be combined with the Free Shipping in Nelson coupon. Expires Dec 31 2015.
2ormore30off: Use this code to save 30% if you buy 2 ore more books. This deal can be combined with the Free Shipping in Nelson coupon. Expires Dec 31 2015.
What in the world is the Humans of Nelson?
A: Inspired by the Humans of New York, since the fall of 2013 I've been walking the streets of Nelson BC asking strangers if I can take their photo. We then talk and I write down anything that they tell me that may be interesting to share with the Humans of Nelson community - which is mostly on the HoN Facebook page. The book is a collection of the best portraits and stories from the project.
I'm confused about the shipping. How does it work?
A1: Do you live in Nelson BC? Use the coupon code "freeshippinginnelson" at checkout and I'll just hand deliver the book to you for free.
A2: Do you live in Canada (besides Nelson)? Enter your address at checkout and shipping will be applied at $15 per book.
A3: Do you live anywhere else in the world (besides Canada)? Enter your address at checkout and shipping will be applied at $25 per book.
Why is shipping so expensive?
A: The love that's in this book weighs a tonne. And it's also a solid hard-cover book. And I'm not Amazon. I walk these bad-boys down to the post-office and package them myself every time someone makes an order. True story. See? These books are heavy with love.
Why aren't you posting any new photos/stories on the Facebook page?
A: I was always doing this project "on the side" - during lunch breaks, in the evenings after the kids went to bed. And my world has changed a lot since I first started in October 2013. And with those changes, I've had to prioritize my time and my hobbies. I'm so glad I got to the point where I could publish a book. That was a big goal of mine. But now it feels like it's time for me to close this chapter in my life and move on.
But what if I'm not ready to move on!?
A: I understand that my decision affects you. I'm sorry. :( The good news is that you can still enjoy the Humans of New York! Brandon Stanton is going strong (as of this writing) and the stories of the people he meets are incredibly entertaining and thought provoking. Go check him out if you haven't already. And you can also cherish this project for a looooong time by having your very own copy of the Humans of Nelson book. :)
Buying stuff online scares me, are there other options?
Yes. The book is also sold in Nelson at Otter Books on Baker Street. But you'll only receive the special deals you see on this webiste if you order the book online.
For making it to the bottom of this page.
And for all your support on this crazy artistic journey of mine. I couldn't do it without you. :)
One lucky human,
P.S. In the book I go into great detail the many folks that helped me turn this book idea into a reality. But special thanks (again) to my book consultant, Anne DeGrace. There's no way I'd have dozens of boxes of books in my living room right now without her guidance and support.